There are a number of alleyways in Harrogate District where cycling is prohibited, including on signed cycle routes.
Often, alleyways provide useful routes that enable people to avoid busy main roads and motor vehicles. In York, instead of banning bikes from alleyways, they put up ‘Cyclists Give Way to Pedestrians’ signs. That’s a good solution in many cases.
Making this change in Harrogate could make a small but significant difference to the cycle network.
The alleyways we suggest would be suitable for considerate cycling are:
- Leadhall Drive to Norfolk Road
- Daleside Drive to A61/Fulwith Mill Lane
- Arthur’s Avenue to the Rossett path
- Wetherby Road to Wayside Walk
- Wetherby Road to St Clement’s Road (Charlwood)
- Dragon Road, over the railway towards Franklin Road