Otley Road Stray verges
Otley Road Stray verges

Harrogate Borough Council has now begun a consultation about the Otley Road grass verges.

Some of the Otley Road grass verges (pictured above) are technically part of the Stray. To build the Otley Road Cycleway, some grass will have to be lost. Grassland elsewhere has to become part of the Stray in exchange.

HBC’s preferred option is to add to the Stray an area of grass and trees by Wetherby Road, at the rear of Harrogate Hospital. It will be of greater amenity value than the Otley Road verges.

The new proposed Stray land is shown in the photo below, at the top left of the image.

Slingsby Walk, Wetherby Road crossing
Slingsby Walk, Wetherby Road crossing

It’s also shown on the first of three maps in this document.

If there were too many negative responses to the consultation and not enough positive ones, the Otley Road Cycleway might never be built – so please respond.

Otley Road verges consultation

7 thoughts on “Otley Road verges consultation

• 21 August 2020 at 8:02 am

I strongly support the Otley Road Cycleway and would support the option of the Wetherby road amenity grass area. Sarah Craven

• 21 August 2020 at 9:12 am

Joe Smith

• 25 August 2020 at 5:22 pm

Lets get Otley Road Cycleway started and sorted, NYCC just continue to talk about it. I support the use of the land adjacent to the hospital as the replacement grass for that lost on Otley Road.

• 28 September 2020 at 9:02 am

Does anyone know whether the trees on the Otley Road verges will be affected by the construction of the cycle way?

• 28 September 2020 at 9:13 am

Hi Andrea,

The main loss of trees is nothing to do with the cycleway. Trees have already been felled in advance of widening Otley Road to make it 2 lanes for vehicles, near the junction with Harlow Moor Road.

I believe a single tree may be removed (and replaced by 3 trees elsewhere) to enable the cycleway to be built.

There has been a lot of misinformation about the trees, but all but one being lost are due to widening the road for cars.

David

• 4 March 2021 at 9:43 am

I am a committed & enthusiastic cyclist. I use my cycles for enjoyment of the sport & transport. In town my first choice is always a bike if this is possible.
    I believe that the Otley Road cycleway is a massive waste of funding resources.
    It is being used to offset & justify the negative effects of building the hundreds of unnecessary new ‘executive’ houses to the west of Harrogate.
    The massive housing developments in and around Harrogate are destroying the very nature of the town that people enjoy. Most of these new houses, when they become inhabited, have at least 2 vehicles, sometimes more, parked outside them.
    Who in their right mind believes that many of the inhabitants of these developments will want to cycle over one of the steepest & highest hills in Harrogate to get into the town rather than jump into their cars?
    I have lived in Harrogate for 58 years, am a fit and active long distance cyclist, yet I doubt that I have cycled up Otley Road more than 20 times in my life.
    There are plenty of far more pressing & deserving ‘active travel’ projects that could and should receive the allocated funding before the Otley Road ‘white elephant’.
    The ‘anti-cyclist’ fraternity will surely, rightly, point to a grossly under-used Otley Road cycleway as a blatant waste of public funds and sadly I will have to concur.

• 8 March 2021 at 2:44 pm

Hi Ian. I agree that Otley Road was not the best scheme as a statement cycle route in Harrogate. HDCA were not consulted prior to the NPIF bid going in. NYCC were constrained with their choice of route due to the bid criteria. We would have chosen the Knaresborough to Harrogate but this route has now failed with two DfT bids mainly because there is insufficient match funding. The issues of the Stray land are also greater on the Knaresborough to Harrogate route. We were consulted on designs of the Otley Road route once the bid had been won and we believe that significant improvements have been made. I hope that once built it will provide a safe route that the less confident cyclist can use and one that parents can use with their children to access the rest of the cycle network. You are correct in your view that HBC planning and NYCC highways in giving planning permission for these perimeter developments have created the huge problems we are facing. Gia Margolis