Home Forums Harrogate Ripley Greenway Crossing at Killinghall

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Peter Lawley
    Participant

Has there ever been discussion with NYCC about changing the crossing on the Ripley (western) side of the A61, where the Greenway crosses it ? I always think having the path sloping down relatively steeply straight to the crossing from the gate is a disaster waiting to happen. Surely a staggered path or slope to a barrier would be safer ?

• This topic was modified 3 years ago by MD.
    • This topic was modified 3 years ago by MD.
    David
    Keymaster

Sorry I didn’t see this until now. I’m sure the issue has been raised with North Yorkshire, but as ever nothing has been done.

I’ll ask if anyone else knows more.

MD

Yes. Martin Weeks raised this problem with NYCC several years ago. He and I went and measured up an alternative angled path to replace the existing path straight down to the road. (My job was to hold the other end of the tape measure, a bit like when you and I put the bench up on the Greenway!) NYCC wouldn’t make the change. I can’t remember why, possibly the cost. I agree, disaster waiting to happen.

Chris Bishop
    Participant

Another issue is the time it takes for the lights to change, reinforcing that the car has priority over other road users.

David
    Keymaster

I completely agree. This is especially noticeable at the Greenway crossing, but also a consistent problem throughout North Yorkshire.

NYCC describe the way they prioritise motor vehicles as ‘balancing the interests of different road users’.

It is hard to imagine them being able to solve this problem unless they are first able to be honest about the facts.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.